Archive Research Service
The Shuttleworth Collection Library possesses a wealth of aviation information. The catalogue contains some 13,000 books and documents and the Photo Archive holds in excess of 20,000 digital images. The Library Information and Research Service is provided by volunteer members of SVAS. The Library is open on Tuesdays between 10.00am and 3.30pm.
All Rights Reserved except for Fair Dealing exceptions otherwise permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.
Search of a “single source”, eg a book or archive, and a corresponding response with, where appropriate, digital images of the supporting reference material.
Provision of further research time, digital images and photocopying
Assistance to researchers who visit Old Warden
How to make your enquiry
- Please make your enquiry on this website (agree below), or in writing by letter
- State clearly what information you seek.
- Include your full name, email address, telephone number and full postal address. This is essential if the reply involves our sending documents or pictures. If you are a member of SVAS, please give your Membership Number.
Please Note: There may be a charge for any additional research required. If so, you will be given an estimate of the amount of work involved and the charge. On receipt of the fee, the research will be carried out. Please see below for applicable fees.
All of our enquiries, whether by email or letter, are dealt with in strict rotation, ensuring that all receive proper attention. For this reason, you probably will not receive a reply straightaway, so please be patient.
Due to the large number of enquiries received there is a minimum turnaround time of 4 - 6 weeks. If you have an enquiry that will involve considerable complex and time-consuming work, special arrangements will be made with you regarding turnaround of your enquiry.
Please remember that cataloguing is ongoing and information may not readily be to hand.
Personal research is by appointment only, such appointment to be made at least three weeks in advance. Requests to visit should include details of the purpose of the research and an indication of the information required. This will enable the Library Team to prepare the necessary material in advance of the visit.
Standard Service £7.50
A quotation will be provided for additional services based on the schedule below.
Payment by credit card or cheque payable to “The Shuttleworth Collection”.
Click here to make an additional payment.
In the event that we are unable to assist then either a credit card refund will be made or your cheque will be destroyed. You will be notified when this action has been taken.
The following may have a “standard research” carried out free of charge:
- Members of SVAS
- Bona fide students and staff of recognised schools and universities engaged in research as part of their teaching or studies towards a recognised public examination (eg GCSE, AS and A levels)
- Aviation and military museums
A "single source" search with response and where appropriate, supported by digital images of the reference material
ADDITIONAL RESEARCH SERVICES
Additional Research per hour
Personal Research Visits, preparation and support during visit: minimum charge.
Conditions of Use
- It is a condition of the Shuttleworth Collection Archive Research Service that all material used in our response to your enquiry including text and/or photographs is copyright of the Shuttleworth Collection/Trust unless otherwise stated in the covering documentation. This material may not be reproduced or distributed in part or whole to third parties by any digital or analogue means without the express permission of the copyright owner(s).
- It is a condition of the Shuttleworth Collection Archive Research Service that responses including text and/or photographs will only be supplied for the purposes of private study or research for non-commercial use. Your acceptance below confirms that you fully comply with this condition.